Friday, October 16, 2009

The Sami People






I have a break between sessions and I want to write this down while it is still fresh.  I told you to look on wikipedia.org for Sami people.

Today I learned that the Norwegians tried for over 100 years to stamp out this race of people by forcing them to attend schools that taught only in Norwegian.  Many Sami integrated themselves into Norwegegian culture so that they would not be discriminated against.  We saw a slide show of a Sami conference where they compare themselves, rightly so, with American Indians, the Native peoples of Central America, and other oppressed people who  were there first, and then someone comes in and tries to erradicate them.  Many Sami immigrated to America.  Their descendents most likely have no idea that they are Sami.  So sad!  One of the places that many of these people immigrated to was Utah!  I had an interesting discussion with our professor when he learned I was from Utah.  Well,  I gotta get ready for this afternoon's class.

No comments:

Post a Comment