Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Racing to Haarlem

 The Alpina sign to let Jews know it was safe to approach.   The ten Boom home in Haarlem.


The front parlor. A picture of the ten Boom sisters, Betsy, Nolly and Corrie.







The hiding place in Corrie's bedroom that saved many Jews.  A child is going through the crawlspace to demonstrate how small this is.




My main goal on this long layover was to videotape two museums.

tenBoom Huis 

 The book The Hiding Place is a must read for everyone.  I have been here before, and I believe I was able to take pictures.  I didn't think I would make it here, as the last tour is at 3:30 p.m.  However, a good tail wind got me into Amsterdam early.  It is amazing how fast I can run through an airport with arthritic knees, being overweight, and carrying luggage!  I got through customs - waved me through - no stamp, put my luggage in a locker, had to go back to locker to get camera, and almost went back for book on the Netherlands. Fortunately, I have been here before and know my way around.  Got a ticket for Haarlem and was on my way.

I made it just in time for the last tour, which was in Dutch! I understand German, so I got about 20% of what she was saying. It was a full tour, so my pictures won't do it justice.  The guide would not let me be the caboose at the end if the group so I could videotape.

No comments:

Post a Comment