Wednesday, October 14, 2009

The Canning Factory



Stavanger, before it became an oil city, was once the hub of sardine canning factories.  In an old factory building is a small museum about canning. It actually is quite interesting.  I was there when they were having  fieldtrip of school children.  I stood back and got the basic idea of what they were telling the kids.  The picture to the left is of a drying rack of sardines. (the sardines are rubber.)  Below, I am holding a rubber sardine.  They told the kids how to pack them in cans and explained that they had to do so many cans in a time period.  Then they let them pretend to be factory workers and timed them.  It was a hoot to watch!  The factory workers had to cut off the head of the fish with scissors until someone invented a machine to do it.


Rubber Sardines to the right and below.


I missed the part where they showed the kids how to make cans from tin sheets.  I don't think they let the kids do this as there are warning signs next to the press.

Canning sardines - one job I am glad I never had to do!

No comments:

Post a Comment