Monday, October 19, 2009

Getting Ready for Amsterdam

Today is my last day in Norway. My hosts keep telling me outright to get a job in the international school here. I must admit it is very tempting, but I have work to do in Utah.

Tomorrow I leave for Amsterdam.  I had planned on going to two museums and making videos.  Unfortunatly, my plane gets in at 2 p.m., and one of the museums closes at 3:30 p.m.  The museum I won't make it to is the Ten Boom House in Haarlem.  I have been here before, and have taken some pictures.  I will have to upload them when I get home.

I will be going to the Anne Frank House, which I have been to before. From there I have some ideas, and I will have to see my timetable.

Fun Facts
"Dutch" is a midieval misnomer on the part of the English, who couldn't tel the difference between the people of the Netherlands and Germany (All things being accurate "Germany" did not exist as a country during this time period.)  The English corrupted Deutsch, which is German for German, into "Dutch". 

Holland was never the name of the country, but was once a province. Today this province is split into two, Nord-Holland and Suid-Holland provinces.

The people who live here call their county Nederland (low country), their language is Nederlands, and they are Nederlanders.  Being a practical people, the recognize Dutch and Holland are popular outside of their country and they don't make a big deal out of it.

Amsterdam lies up to 18 feet below sea level. Fortunately, today's modern dikes can hold back just about anything.  Perhaps the people of New Orleans should come here to study dikes and sea walls.  Because of climate changes, the Dutch government plans to raise the height of the dikes.

Amsterdam comes from Aemstelledamme which means "the dam on the Amstel river".  The original dam site is now a famous public square.

Schiphol airport has a runway that is 15 feet below sea level.  The area where the runway is located was once a lake and the Dutch and Spanish fought a  navel battle here in 1573.

No comments:

Post a Comment