Saturday, June 27, 2009

A Wild Two Days







Yesterday, we left the Tiberias area and headed towards Jerusalem in a round about fashion. We went south to the site of Beit Sher'im. This is a large Roman city. The remains were fantastic. I got some great pictures and video.



Then we headed northwest to Har Megiddo (Megiddo Mountain). These ruins were not so spectacular, except for the fact that the name Har Megiddo has been corrupted to Armeggedon! So, I took some great pictures of the plain below where the great battle mentioned in the Book of Revelations will be.



We arrived from the mountainous west into Jerusalem. We checked into our hotel, ate dinner, and headed down to the Old City to the Wailing Wall for the beginning of Shabbat.



Shabbat is Hebrew for Sabbath. Jewish Sabbath lasts from sundown on Friday to sundown on Saturday. One elevator in our hotel was turned off as it has to rest for Shabbat. No, I am not kidding. This place shuts down if there is any thing connected to Judism. The Christians and Muslims are all working. Friday is the Holy Day for Muslims, and Sunday is Sunday for Christians.



This morning a few of us went to Bethlehem. To do this we literally left Israel and went in to the West Bank, or Palestinian Authority. We went through checkpoints, had to show passports, etc. Bethlehem is all of five miles southwest of Jerusalem.



When we got back, the bus dropped me off at the Old City so I could do some shopping. I had a baby present made, and it was waiting for me. I also wanted to get some tiles from my favorite tile guys. One of my favorite shops is Jerusalem Pottery - http://www.jerusalempottery.biz/ I highly recommend you check out this website. Also google Vic Lepejian. He did the baby gift for me. He is also a famous ceramic artist. Sometimes a girl just has to be by herself in an old world market and shop till she drops!



I will describe the Old City in my next post.

No comments:

Post a Comment