Monday, June 15, 2009

Learning to introduce ourselves in Arabic

Last week I taught my kids how to say "My name is..." in Arabic. Arabic does not use articles so it is an easy task for most children. Then I videotaped them saying "Ismi (fill in name). " One child had a hard time. He would practice and say "miss me" or "I am Mrs -----" Finally, he got it correct.
Videotaping them was another situation. This is a noisy group, but when it came to saying their line, they would all whisper. I had to record them twice. The video is now on my netbook and I will be showing it to the children in the Bedouin village I will be staying in. I would put it up here, but I do not feel comfortable putting these children on the world wide web. I have permission to record them for the other children to view.
While practicing the word "ismi", a few children slipped and said "Imshi" which is Arabic for "Go Away!" Sort of like "get lost" in English. I had to correct them and explain what Imshi meant. Then several of them spent the rest of the day saying "Imshi!" to each other!
To get them ready for my departure, I named their table groups by colors - but in Arabic. So they sit at the arjamahnee (purple), akhdar (green), akhmar (red), azraq (blue), and azfar (yellow) tables. This week we are learning about the ar sound in English, such as star, far, farm, etc. One child exclaimed "Oh, arr, like in azfar!" He got the sound right!
This is my last week in class. The kids will have a substitute, an off-track teacher, to finish out their last two weeks. While I am gone, the kids will be doing a geography unit on Israel and Jordan. I had a friend of mine, a Hebrew scholar, write their names in Hebrew script, and some students at the University of Utah wrote their names in Arabic. On www.Enchantedlearning.com I found fruit practice sheets in Hebrew and Arabic. The kids color them in and practice saying the fruits in the two languages. They will also practice writing true Arabic numerals, which I can't type here because I don't have the font needed. While our numbers are called Arabic Numerals, they are not what is used in the Middle East.
Lots to do in the next few days!

No comments:

Post a Comment