Thursday, June 25, 2009

From Syria to Lebanon

Today, we went running around the Golan Heights area. From one point we could see Syria, from another point, Lebanon. Israel is a very tiny country. It is only 290 miles long, and 85 miles at its widest. It could easily fit inside Utah with room to spare.
Another place we went was Safed. This town is the home of Kabbala, and home to many Orthodox Jews, who do not work, but get state assistance so they can argue and learn about Kabbala all day. Our Israeli guide says it is an unfair burden to the rest of the country.
Madonna is into Kabbala, but as far as I know, has not converted to Judiasm. I asked if she had ever been to Safed, and the answer was yes! I then asked if the Orthodox wanted her to leave, and the reply was "Well, she spent many, many shekels, so she is tolerated." Shekels are the Israeli monetary unit.
I did take pictures today, but will have to wait to post them as I am not using my computer at the moment, and have a class tonight. Why we have to have classes after long, hot days is a mystery to me. Half of us fall asleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment