Thursday, February 16, 2012

Arizona Roadtrip with my Sister, Susan

     My eldest sister, Susan Boyes, lives in Chandler, Arizona, southeast of Phoenix.  We had discussed my coming for a weekend, and that I wanted to revisit an old mission church I had seen almost 30 years ago near Tucson.  I have a four day weekend in February to play with.
     Once, while visiting Utah, Susan and I got to talking about going on road trips.  I suggested we make a television show about these two middle-aged sisters traveling the country in an R.V.  Our niece, Stephanie, looked at us in embarrassed horror, "You have GOT to be kidding!"  Yeah, we were, but I really do think we would be able to pull off a fascinating show!
     While our father was never much for traveling, unless it involved fishing, our mother was always one to hit the road.  She loved traveling around as much of the United States as she could.  She was particularly fond of Colonial Williamsburg in Virginia, and driving up the California Coast.
      My siblings, for the most part, and I take after our mother.  My eldest brother, Larry, has his own boat. (Larry will do wild things around his neck of the woods, like driving around documenting heavy flooding, to the horror of his granddaughter on the West Coast.  However, he doesn't venture too far from home.)  Dennis likes to climb rocks and visit ancient ruins.  Susan likes hiking vacations and France.  Joan and her husband, Boyd, have been known to meander around with no particular destination, while there three adult children are at home asking "Are they insane?"  And me, well, I will pretty much go anywhere!
I have to include a map!  This way you know where we are.

     While planning this trip, my one request was to revisit the mission of San Xavier del Bac south of Tucson.  Susan then planned for the town of Tubac and the Tumacacori National Monument, both near the Mexican border.  I had never heard of these places, so I was excited to venture into the unknown (for me) .  We would also visit the Saguaro National Park.
      So, sit back and relax.  Laurie and Susan  will be hitting the road!
Susan's favorite roadtrip food.

Laurie's favorite roadtrip food.

1 comment: