Sunday, February 19, 2012

Yard Shrines

The good Hispanic and Indian Catholics of Arizona often have shrines in their front yards.  These small shrines consist of a statue of the Virgin Mary or Jesus Christ, or a favorite saint.  Some are in simple alcoves, while others have elaborate groupings, statues, strings of lights. 

Susan and I had a great time looking for these and photographing them.  Enjoy!

Shrines of Guadelupe

Near Phoenix, is the town of Guadelupe.  The vast majority of the people here are Hispanic, Yaqui Indian or a combination of the two cultures.  The town is quite poor, but the faith is high.  Here are the yard shrines I was able to photograph:












Local Catholic Church


The Shrines Near Tubac and on the way to Tucson



The owner of this shrine got a bit upset with me until I told him I was taking a picture of the shrine and not his home.  He mellowed considerably and said to take all the pictures I wanted.
 








Close-up of the above photo.  There is a small Christmas in there. 




No comments:

Post a Comment