Friday, March 25, 2011

Delft

My First Delft Pieces
When I was about 8-9 years old, my sister, Susan, and her husband went on a trip to Europe. One of the countries they visited was the Netherlands. 

Susan brought my sister, Joan, and, I back Delftware jewelry.  I got a necklace, and Joan got studs for her ears.  I would later inherit those studs.

Susan very carefully explained what Delft was.  It also helped that I have always had a fascination for china, and Delftware is the Netherlands' form of porcelain.  She very carefully explained how to tell if an item was real Delftware.

Over the years, I have had a great fondness for Delftware, and vowed to myself that if I ever got the chance, I would go to the town of Delft and see one of the original factories where Delftware is still made.

So fascinated with Delftware am I, that on my last trip to Amsterdam in 2009, I brought back four ceramic wooden shoes for my great- nieces.  I only saw two reactions to this gift, and I could tell they were less than thrilled. Ironically, the mother of one of the girls has her own online dish replacement service.  At least someone in my family likes china the way I do!

A Little History

The town of Delft was founded in 1100 A.D. Aside the famous china, the town was also the birthplace and home of the 17th century painter Jan Vermeer (The Girl With the Pearl Earring - not many major motion pictures are based on a painting.)  Delft is also the burial place of the Dutch Royal Family. In the 1600s, ships with the Dutch East India Company started to bring back blue and white china from China.  With the china very much in demand, the Dutch started their own version of blue and white porcelain in the town of Delft.  Known as Delftware, today it is ironic that most of the Delftware sold in tourists shops actually comes from China!  The real stuff is rare.

The Royal Delft Company has been in operation since the 1650s.  While there are a few churches to visit in the town, my main point of coming was to see the Royal Delft Company and to visit a bead store that makes Defltware beads.

Delftware

Today's Delftware is made up of a clay consisting of several ingredient, three of which must be koalin, a while clay,, and the gemstones, feldspar and quartz.  Earthenware, stoneware, porcelain (china) are all forms of ceramic, which comes from the Greek word, keramos, which means "potter".  The look and feel of different types of ceramic depends on the combination of ingredients in the clay.

Plates and vases are usually handthrown.  Other items can be made using liquid clay in forms.  The clay is poured in the mold, and then allowed to set.  The form is removed and the items dry and are smoothed out before the first firing.  Artists then hand paint each piece, which is why it is so expensive.  They use brushes made from squirrel and marten (like a weasel) hair.  The paint is black, and contains cobalt, which turns blue in the glazing process.

Places I Should Not Go With a Visa Card

I was excited to go to De Porceleyn Fles, also known as the Royal Delft Company.  A person can actually paint there own piece of Delftware, have it fired and then shipped home. I did not make arrangements to do this.  So, I went a tad crazy in the gift shop!  Now, I have to figure out how I am going to get it home!





Above are scenes from the Royal Delft Factory



A video of one of the painters.  It takes seven years to become a Delftware artisan.


Rembrandt's The Night Watchman done in Delftware tiles.  It is the same size as the original painting


Traditiional Blue and White Delftware.

Polychrome Delftware.

Red, blue, and gold  Japanese-style Delftware.
Black Delftware.



The gift shop - My version of heaven!


I loved my day in Delft.  Now, I gotta go figure out how to pack this stuff!

No comments:

Post a Comment