Thursday, March 24, 2011

Are you Dutch?

So, I had some time to walk around the SLC airport before my flight.  We can't bring in bottled water because of the liquid requirements.  So, of course anything to drink past the security points is ridiculously expensive.  But the food vendors have latched on to this as well, and food is amazingly pricey.  I found $7 ham or turkey sandwiches! Honestly!

I am a silver medallion member on Delta, and I usually get bumped to first class, where a free dinner is waiting for me.  However, in case I don't get bumped, I make my own sandwiches.  This time I did not get bumped up, and would have had to pay for any food items other than soda, juice and cookies.  My ham sandwich that I made was very tasty.

My trip went from SLC to Atlanta and on to Amsterdam.  I love Hartfied Airport!  They have these awesome trains that take you from terminal to terminal.  It is my favorite airport on the East Coast.

My flight to Amsterdam was uneventful, with me sleeping most of the time.  I tried to watch a movie, but I was too tired.  Got to Amsterdam where we are having incredible sunny weather.
\
Are you Dutch?

While at the airport, an elderly lady came up to me and asked for help buying a train ticket.  I showed her where to do.  She thanked me and said Dutch people are so nice!  I smiled and said I was an American.  She looked shocked! "Really, you sound Dutch!" (Really?)  I told her she sounded like she was from Maine.  She was amazed that I could tell that just by how she spoke.  Not really!  Maine dialects are easy to detect. 

 It is lovely outside.  I went to the big flower market.  I was going to buy some unusual bulbs, but the vendor stopped me, asking if I was American.  He said that special certificates are in order for the USA and Canada, and any bulbs I may buy will be confiscated until June.  He said that not every vendor is honest about that, but that he did not want me to spend money and not get to keep my item.  Cool guy!

While walking down the streets of Amsterdam, I was constantly being asked "Are you Dutch?"  Apparently, I really look the part even though I was carrying a tourist map, and not on a bicycle. Finally, after one saddened person was disappointed in learning I was not a Netherlander, I asked if I could help.  I knew Amsterdam quite well.  She asked how to get to the Anne Frank Huis, and I was able to tell her how to get there, and the best time if the day to go.  She looked at me and said "Are you sure you are not Dutch?"

Below (or above -I never know with this blogsite) are pictures of the Prinsengracht Canal in front of my hotel, and of one of the root vendors in the flower market.



Oh, and I also found a mama duck and her 10 ducklings, near a construction site.  They were amusing both natives and tourists alike, and the construction workers were trying hard not to disturb them.

No comments:

Post a Comment