Sunday, October 27, 2013

Hiking Utah

     There is no doubt that Utah's national parks hold spectacular beauty.  But with that beauty come danger.

       This is a desert, and has little water, and lots of vicious critters.  Items that one should have when hiking in Utah:


A hat and sunscreen are a must.  Many people find walking sticks to be very helpful on slickrock.
Hiking to Delicate Arch should NOT be done in flipflops - which I did witness.  Appropriate footwear and wicking socks will keep feet safe from critters and blisters.

WATER!!!!!  Smart hikers use backpacks called Camelbaks  which have blue liquid carriers that can fit in the backpack itself. The water is then sucked out through a tube-like straw. My purple pack is actually what I use for cycling.  I have two other sizes.  I fill my blue bag with ice, and then just before setting off, I add Gatorade - I have a potassium deficiency.  I keep litre bottles of water in my car.  My pack can also carry small snacks. Fruit, such as apples, have water, and are easily carried.  Carrying small bottles of water will NOT be enough!  I have also seen people hike with milk jugs filled with water - impractical.

No comments:

Post a Comment