Saturday, October 22, 2011

St. Jacob

     Today, the Williams clan took me to the village of St Jacob, about 64 miles southwest of Durham. St Jacob was originally called Jacobstettel which means "town of many Jacobs".  The town was settled by
Mennonites from Pennsylvania after the American Revolution.  Horse-drawn carriages are a common sight.

     Our first stop was to the farmer's market, where we ate true apple fritters made from aplle slices dipped in batter, deep-fried and rolled in cinnamon-sugar. 

deep fryer

paring apples

     We also saw many Mennonites along with Muslims, and a variety of other people speaking a variety of languages.




Mennonite girl waiting for falafel.




     In the main part of the village was Hamel's Broom Shop, where homemade brooms are produced.




      I have a nephew named Jacob, and I thought he would get a kick out of this diner.  We did not have time to visit the Menonite Center.






     On the way home, we stopped to see the world's biggest lawn chair.  My niece, Laree, was able to climb onto it.  I tried, but my legs are too short for the large spaces to climb on.





      It was a fun day.

No comments:

Post a Comment