Wednesday, June 8, 2011

The Sixth Grade Social Studies Book

     When I was in sixth grade, we studied South America.  I should really say we read about it, because I don't recall Mrs. Westover, my teacher, ever really teaching us.  But, I digress.

      One day I found a picture of Machu Picchu in the textbook.  The picture fascinated me.  I would look at it often and vowed to myself that one day I would go to Peru to see this place. And, I mentioned this to a few classmates, who laughed at me.  Twelve-year-olds can be so mean.

     "Some day" has finally come!  For about two years I have been planning and saving for a trip to Peru for my 50th birthday present to myself.  Since I have never been to this continent, and do not speak Spanish, or more precisely Quechua, I decided to go with a travel group.  I researched many, and settled on Adventure-Life.  I found a tour that was short, easy to save for, and would get me to Machu Picchu.

      Then I began the everlasting hobby of accumulating frequent flyer miles so that I could cash them in for a free plane ride.  The only planes I am paying for are LAN Airlines trips within Peru.

    And because I enjoy maps, please enjoy mine!


South America, and where Peru is on it.

I will fly into Lima (purple nail) and then fly onto Cusco.

Detailed map of the area I will be in.

Not so detailed map of the area I will be in.

No comments:

Post a Comment