Sunday, May 18, 2014

Adventures 2014 - May: Glassblowing



            I made this!  I finally got to try my hand at working with molten glass.  With the help of the glassblowers at Holdman Studios in Lehi, Utah, I was able to obtain a long standing dream of mine, glassblowing.



          Holdman Studios is part of the Thanksgiving Point complex.  The unassuming building is north of the Museum of Ancient Life, and the Barn complex.

           While inside, I was given a tour by a lovely young man named Logan.  Holdman Studios does work for both public and private clients.

This will be turned into a sculpture piece.  I saw the original drawing by the couple who designed it for their yard.
I thought these window panels were pretty in their simplicity.

Private individuals can design or have designed doors and windows.


     The public are allowed to watch artisans working with glass.




Logan showed me the room where glass painting is done.  The painted glass portrait is of the Apostle Bartholomew. If I understand this process correctly, and I am not sure I do, tiny grains of glass are mixed with powdered minerals and painted on and then baked to melt the glass and seal the painting.






The studio is a wonderful place to visit as there are a variety of glass objects to buy.











And now, my favorite part - me working with molten glass! First gobs of molten glass are taken out of the furnace.  The glass blower must temper or work with the glass to get it the right consistency.






The hot glass is then rolled in bits of colored glass of my choosing.




It is then tempered again and set in a certain shape.  This is all done by the artisan glass blower.




The final color glass is applied.





Now, I get involved.  Using tongs, I get to pull at the glass to the shape I desire.







The glass is already starting to rapidly cool, as the blue on the outside is beginning to show.

My finished piece must cool for 48 hours.


     I will be returning to Holdman Studios in June with a group of teenage girls from my church so that they can have this experience.  I will make two more flowers as I have a display in mind for my own home.  This post will be edited, so stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment