Tuesday, July 2, 2013

The Salentine Peninsula

   Our last day of riding would be along the coast at the bottom of the heel of the boot - the Salentine Peninsula.  Unfortunately, my lungs had other plans - damn them!

   I had ridden about 10 km, when I had to stop for a breather.  Our rider that day, Fabio, was with me the entire time, and would encourage me with "You can do it!"  We rode more slowly than the rest, but that was okay.  After another rest, I had ridden about 20 feet when I started a full attack that required my rescue inhaler.  Fabio quickly got on the phone and had Gigi come back for me.  I was so disappointed, and so mad at my body for failing me.

   Gigi and I would meet the rest at a small town for a quick snack, and then on to the town of Castro Marina, where he and Fabio would lay out a lovely picnic lunch for us.  The next two pictures are from Castro Marina.





     After lunch, the rest would have the massive hill that this trip provided.  So, Jean opted to ride with me until the top of the hill, then she would ride her bike the rest of the day.  I was so jealous that this 84-year-old woman could out ride me!  But, she and her husband, David, give me a goal to reach - riding bikes when I am in my 80s!

    In the afternoon we would stop at a cove for a swim.  I didn't swim, but I enjoyed the shade, and the Schweppes Lemon drink I was able to procure.  Lemon Schweppes - my newest love!


Italian Women

   So, here I am on the beach with these gorgeous Italian women in their swimsuits and bikinis.  American women have such stupid beauty pressures to live up to.  Well, guess what?  Italian women have cellulite, post pregnancy bellies, and bits of jiggly fat!  They just don't care when it comes to the beach!  More power to them!









 That evening was our farewell dinner with our group and our guides.  The next day we would leave for the city of Lecce and Gigi and Fabio would leave us.  Gigi was finished as a guide for the next two months.  Fabio had one more group to guide.  The Puglia trip is not available in July or August due to heat.


Sunset at the Masseria

No comments:

Post a Comment