Thursday, June 13, 2013

A Day's Travel Between Four Airports

       My day started at Salt Lake International, a smaller, but well-organized international airport. From SLC I would fly to NYC's JFK airport.

        Nine Degrees of Hell
   
       JFK is going through massive renovations. This means passengers have to shuttle between terminals. In my case, it also meant walking through a construction zone. By the time I got through this, I was ready for a shower and nap. But, the fun was just beginning as I went through security, which I can only describe as a combination of Disney's It's a Small World ride combined with Dante's Inferno.
       In defense of the TSA, they were great, even friendly, compared with the snarling masses trying to get to their planes. One agent patiently explained to an obnoxious man that security did not cater to first and business class, that we were all equal in the eyes of TSA. I would have loved to take pictures of some of the things I saw while going through security, but that would have gotten my in a lot of trouble.

        Seriously, lady.......

        The last time I was in Rome's airport, it was just for an hour between planes, and the terminal was decked out because it was Christmas. In reality, this airport is a bit run down and seedy. But, the Italians were so friendly, and got me to the right places, that it didn't matter.
          My last flight would take me to the city of Bari, in Puglia. From Rome we flew south, and I got to, at least, see Naples and Mt. Vesuvius from the air. My nephew and his family live there. I would have taken a picture, but I was in the middle seat, and not next to the window.
          The lady next to me was a piece of work. She would talk on her phone and then get really loud whenever the pilot made an announcement. He was clearly making her life miserable! The passengers    in front of us would turn around and tell her to be quiet. Even the male flight attendant told her to shut off her phone.
           We were in the very back of the plane, and had to wait for passengers to get off. What little I had to say, to the flight attendants, was in Italian. So, I was not prepared for this lady to address me in English, "Would you please move, I need to get out!" I looked at her and asked to where would she like me to move? The aisle was jammed full of people waiting to move forward. Then she was upset that the flight attendants didn't open both doors. She was in a hurry. I turned and explained that this was not a choice they get to make. Security on the outside determines this, and until they unlock the outside of the doors, the crew cannot open the doors. She looked at me like I was nuts, but the flight attendant nearby confirmed what I had to say. Another passenger offered to get my backpack from the overhead. They all ignored her.
             Flying is a truly wonderful mode of travel, but, I am glad to be on the ground!




1 comment:

  1. It's definitely nice to realize that you meet more good people than annoying people along the way. But the annoying ones take more of one's attention and energy than they deserve.

    ReplyDelete