Thursday, July 21, 2011

The Return

It has been ten years since I was last in Japan.  I am staying in the Hiroo section of Tokyo, within walking distance of the school I am auditing, the LDS Tokyo Temple, and several embassies.

I got here early in the morning, dropped off the lugguge, and headed out while the overcast weather was still good.  Japanese that I hadn't used in ten years started to return.  I had been concerned about trying to do things, like buying subway tickets.  But it all came back. What a relief!

Old friends, like the Family Mart convenience store, made an appearance. I was able to get some juice and water.

I had a list of things I wanted to accomplish as this was my one completely free day. First up was the Asakusa /uh SOX ah/ section of town where the Senso-ji Buddhist temple is, and where I was picking up a few gifts. There was a small shop where geta were sold. Geta are to Japan what wooden shoes are to the Netherlands. Soles can be put on geta, and they make nice sandals. Here are some more extreme examples of geta:



This next pair was high on a shelf.  I looked at them and said in Japanese "Oh look! Lady Gaga Geta!" The two people working in the store got a good laugh!




Lady Gaga Geta

 
 Next on the list was to go to Asakusa-bashi to go bead shopping.  My favorite bead shop is in Yokohama, and I am not going to be able to get there.  I did find a new store with a definate hippy feel.  It was an awesome store.  The clerks let me take a picture, but they wouldn't be in it.



Hippy Bead Store
 



 I then made every effort to get to an office supply store for these file folders.  I was so tired, and I ended up by the Sony Building looking at their outdoor aquarium.  I had had enough.  Time to go back to the hotel.  I hope to find some time tomorrow to get those folders. They don,t have these type in the states.  Enjoy the pictures.


Senso-ji Temple Complex




This is a torii - a gate into a Shinto shrine
 


Prayers are written on wooden tablets or pieces of paper.
 



Calligrapher writing in a temple book. 
 



Jizo kamidana for miscarried or aborted babies.
 



Jizo for dead pets 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment